Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tutorial Tuesday - Grammar : -izing words

Okay, I'm sorry I'm late posting today but here it is. The grammar Tut for Tuesday.
I was going to do something on when to use quotes over italics when I came across something interesting and will share it with you (whether you find it interesting or not- haha)

I was doing some research and came across this oxymoron in Strunk and White's Elements of Style (4th ed).
How often do you use the words 'prioritize, finalize, containerize' maybe not the last so much but the other two I know I use a lot... according to S & W they should not exist. By adding -ize to the nouns such as final, priority, and container you are trying to convert them to a verb and this is not correct. Words such as utilize ( a verb of noun utility) is according to S&W a 'pretentious abomination' when 'use' is more efficient and straightforward.

So I went hunting for the obnoxious - prioritize....
  • Oxford English Dictionary - no prioritize
  • Oxford Dic. of Current English - not only has prioritize but prioritise, prioritized, prioritizes, prioritizing - treat as important, arrange in order of importance
  • Oxford Colour Dic. & Thesaurus - prioritize - treat as a priority
  • Collins Australian Dictionary - no prioritize (or -ise)
  • Websters New World Thesaurus - no prioritize (or -ise)
  • The New International Websters Dictionary & Thesaurus of the English Language - prioritize v.t. (-tized,-tizing) - to arrange in order of priority: to prioritize one's goals
  • Askjeeves.com - prioritize - to list, arrange, or perform tasks in order of importance or priority
So there you have it even the experts disagree - ain't grammar wonderful

Now it is up to you to figure out how to utilize this list I finalized of the word prioritize!

3 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

Why weren't you with us at Test the Nation!

You're my grammar guru.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker said...

When I prioritize my list of grammar do's and dont's , I will put this at the top of my list. Good job of research! And, you did use the label thingie (is "thingie" a word? I think you used it first) I haven't even posted yet today, because I got out in the yard trying to uncover my iris beds and my Sweet Williams from all the leaves and weeds. It's blooming here...and it's warm! Now I have to go finalize supper.

Jenny McB said...

So can I secretly send my memos to you that write at work before my supervisor and pathologist go at it with their red pens? I will have to remember that about prioritize when writing. I just try to be "WICKED" concise when writing those dang things.
So you do this every Tuesday? I will have to come by and learn.