Thursday, March 15, 2007

Thirteen Things I bet you didn't know about Sicily

Apart from being the home of the Mafia, Sicily is a culture rich and diverse island.
1. It was the birth place of Archimedes ( Syracuse, 287BC) - his ingenious war machines helped Syracuse resist a Roman siege for 3 years.
2. Was ruled by Greeks,Romans, Byantines, Arabs, NOrmans, Hohenstaufen monarchs, Angevin and Aragonese dynasties, Spanish and before unification of Italy the Bourbons.
3. Mt. Etna, Europe's largest active volcano, was seen as the home of Hephataestus, the God of Fire, Roman God Vulcan, and Mt. Etna and other islands around Sicily feature in Homer's Odyssey.
4. The train ride around the bottom of Mt. Etna takes five hours.
5. It is one of the few countries in Europe were all of its occupiers have left their mark in architecture that is still visible to this day e.g. Grecian, Roman, Moorish, Norman, Baroque .
6. For the dangerous trip to Sicily, the Greeks used ships called triremes - a galley 35m(115ft) long, faster and more agile than the Phoenician vessels. They traveled about 100 km (60miles) per day, and had 200 crew. They had three ranks of oars, and all 170 oars were synchronized.
7. Home to a diverse cultural society, it was the home to writer Giovanni Verga (1840 -1922) Painter Pietro Novelli (1603-47) and composer Vincenzo Bellini (1801-35)
8. Palermo's Teatro Massimo is one of the largest opera houses in Europe.
9. The Altar of HieronII was a sacrificial monument to Zeus, and as many as 400 bulls were put to death at the same time.
10. The Temple of Concord (5C BC)is one of the best preserved Doric temples in the world. (As are many temples in the Valley of the Temples built by the Carthaginians)
11. Sicily is famous for icecream - cassata
12. The city of Caltagirone is a UNESCO World Heritage site. - famous for its potters and production of ceramics from Bronze Age pots, Greek Hellenistic and roman kraters and figurines, Middle Age vases, and more recent jars and glazed vases, the 142 step of the Santa Maria del Monte Stairway built in 1608 is made entirely of majolica tiles.
13. The Sicilian Hound (Cirneco) is a breed of dog native to the Etna area, was used as a hunting dog in ancient times.

18 comments:

Cafe Cats said...

Awesome info!

Thanks for stopping by my TT. Happy St. Paddy's!

Aline de Chevigny said...

Cool another canadian woohoo. Love the information.

ALine

Wylie Kinson said...

Wow, Robyn... you really did your homework for this post! Very interesting and I sure learned somthing!

Robyn Mills said...

Wylie I'm a closet student... I'd still be in school if life hadn't got in the way! Not that I'm complaining. Good Luck with Saturday. I'm off Germany, then Malta and Sicily.

Chelle said...

Very informative! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Anonymous said...

ok, I didn't know most of this. Its so nice to actually learn things from TT. Thanks for visiting me!

Raggedy said...

Thank you for the tour!
That was wonderful!
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
Thank you for your visit.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Unknown said...

Hi! Here from Thursday 13 website. Everytime I think of Sicily I think of Sophia from the Golden Girls. Great information though! :)

Amy Ruttan said...

Very cool TT, Robyn.

Why aren't you doing Test the Nation with us, we need you!

Happy TT!

Shelly Kneupper Tucker said...

Today was my first visit to the Thursday Thirteen. Your site was one of the first I visited. I'm captivated. Keep them coming. I may have to join, if I get brave enough to try to figure it out.

Marilyn said...

Wow. That was a lot of information. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I always feel so much smarter once I read your posts Robin. Love it!!

Anonymous said...

I love Sicily! It's a beautiful place!

Unknown said...

You put a lot of thought into this.

THanks for visiting, no one else noticed I only put 10, but I fixed it! Thanks for telling me! I feel so silly...

http://leighmdavis.rainbowofwords.com

Durward Discussion said...

There was a recent Rick Steves broadcast about Sicily that was fascinating and he didn't cover half the things you did. Excellent list.

Rene said...

I had a friend from Sicily. The stories she'd tell....

Uisce said...

very informative -- I love an educational TT!

Tink said...

I must admit I didn't know all of that! :-)
Thanks for visiting my handbag TT.