Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Compounds Grammatical

No, this is not something the army marches around of some scientific formula but what is meant by compounds in grammar.
Compound Adjective:
This is an adjective made up of two or more words e.g. downcast, over-the-hill.
Compound Noun:
Is a noun the consists of more than one word, used as a unit e.g. mother-in-law, redhead, passersby, boobytrap.
Compound Predicate:
These are two or more verbs that have equal importance in a sentence e.g. She washed and ironed today.
Compound Sentence:
A sentence that contains to main independents clauses e.g. I love popular music, but my interests have recently turned to opera and classics.
Compound Subject:
This is a sentence in which two or more subjects function with equal importance. e.g. Lucy and Mary loved shopping together.

When you think of it the word compound makes sense of the above, it is linking two or more things together and flows into other things... like compound fracture of the arm, chemical compound, events compounded together having an effect....

Today I have started revision number three on Twisted Vines. Hope your day is productive.

5 comments:

Wylie Kinson said...

Good luck with your revisions and thanks so much for the grammar lesson. Coincidentally, my son is learning some of this stuff in school right now. I'll have him read your blog to brush up!! :)

Rene said...

AACCKK GRAMMAR!! I'm glad you post these grammar things, small doses help me so much.

I'm going to go clean a toyroom with my youngest. I'd rather be writing or revising like you.

Amy Ruttan said...

Great post. Seriously, are you doing Test the Nation, I think we need you!

Robyn Mills said...

Amy, I'll be in Germany, my husband is being honored in company function marking his forty years with them.
Wylie, I post grammar/punctuation etc tutorials/revisions on Tuesdays. If you let me know what your son is doing I'll see if I can focus on it....

Unknown said...

Robyn I love your grammar posts. They keep me fresh! Grammar Tuesday's - I like that. :)