Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #9 - Rue's Metaphsyical Powers

Yep, here you have it a TT about the common old Garden rue Rutaceae - Ruta graveolens. Bet you didn't know these thirteen things about it:
  1. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo both claimed rue's metaphysical powers improved their eyesight and creative inner vision. (An infusion of leaves is still used to bathe tired eyes)
  2. Branches of rue were used to sprinkle holy water before high mass - hence it became known as the Herb of Grace.
  3. It was an important strewing herb and anti-plague plant
  4. Robbers who stripped plague victims protected themselves with 'Vinegar of the four thieves' of which rue was a key ingredient
  5. It was the main component of mithridate - a greek all-purpose poison antidote.
  6. Rue is shown on the heraldic Order of the Thistle. - when Ophelia, in Shakespeare's Hamlet, IV,v (1600) is distributing flowers says: 'O! you must wear your rue with a difference,' she is referring to rue in the heraldic sense.
  7. It inspired the suit of clubs in playing cards.
  8. It's seeds were first used in Roman cooking in 1 AD
  9. If you crush and sprinkle it's dried leaves they are a powerful insect repellent.
  10. By drinking an infusion of its leaves is said to induce perspiration, bring on menstruation, and stimulate bile secretion.
  11. Herbalists use it to treat hysteria, epilepsy, and abnormal blood pressure.
  12. Next time you have partridge for dinner, use the seeds in a marinade with lovage and mint.
NOTE: RUE SHOULD NEVER BE TAKEN DURING PREGNANCY, AND ONLY WITH MEDICAL SUPERVISION.

(Main Source: The Complete Book of Herbs : A practical guide to growing and using herbs by Lesley Bremness (1988)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who knew!?!? :)

Selena

Unknown said...

Well that was interesting stuff. :)

Unknown said...

Great stuff Robin. I'm going to hire you to do research for me!

Robin said...

Is this the same as goat's rue?

Wylie Kinson said...

Where do I get me some of this magic?

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

"Next time you have partridge for dinner"???? Do you have partridge often???

I've never even HEARD of rue before. Cool stuff.... my brain's a-churning already. Uh-oh. We might wind up with an entire week devoted to rue, instead of soy sauce!

Thanks for stopping by West of Mars, as always!

Cafe Cats said...

Fascinating!

I'm up too. Happy TTing!

Chelle said...

I will totally remember this the next time I serve partridge ;)

Rene said...

I'm working on an herb garden, maybe I'll add some.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker said...

I "rue" the fact that I did not know these things. Thanks for sharing them. I posted another article above my TT about leg shaving. If you get by there, see if you can relate. Have a good Thursday!

Amy Ruttan said...

Very Interesting. Great list. I love researching.

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

never would of know any of this! Thanks for sharing. Now do you have a miracle pill to lose weight?

Robyn Mills said...

CHristine - I'm game what topic? rene good luck with the herb garden, robin short answer no - it is a legume Galega officinalis - leguminosae. It clots milk, is used in cheesemaking, stimulates milk in feeding mothers and animals. Reduces fevers, is a diuretic and a used medicinally in treating diabetes. Need medical supervision too. Has a delicate pink and white flower a bit like a sweetpea on a lupin stalk.
I can't believe you don't eat partridge....we have it .... ok never!

Robyn Mills said...

Duchess - if I had the answer to that one you wouldn't be able to access my blog for the traffic. Maybe we should just shove a partridge in our mouths?

kuanyin333 said...

Wow...great to know all this info about rue! Happy TT!

Jenny McB said...

I was going to get fancy and say I rue the day I ate too much rue, but of course Shelly beat me to it.

I love reading about herbs that have been used through the ages and currently in use now.

Thanks for stopping by!

Spy Scribbler said...

I've heard of rue in poetry, but I never really knew what it was (or its history). Fascinating!

Happy TT!

Tink said...

I knew some things about it, but certainly not all of this. Very interesting!
Thanks for visiting my cars TT.

Fence said...

Happy T13, I'll have to second Selena's Who Knew comment :) because I certainly didn't.
And if I ever do have partridge I'll be sure to add some rue seeds :)

jennyr said...

yep, i definitely didn't know about this! thanks for sharing & for visiting my site!