Friday, March 16, 2007

Toronto Islands


I was wondering what I would blog about today and decided, since the fickle weather has turned cold again, to focus on summer in the city. I live not far from Toronto and this cluster of islands, which include Ward, Centre and Hanlan's Point are just a short ferry trip from the bottom of Bay St. What a treat. There are no cars, everyone rides bikes or quaint four-wheelers, okay some walk, but all shamelessly peer over fences into the charming homes of the remaining residences, as they navigate the pathways that wind through the parkland and residential areas. There are lovely swimming beaches (one a nudist beach a fav haunt of gay men), a restaurant or two and a few snack bars, boats to be rented, amusement park and play areas. While city-siders swelter in TO's summer sticky humidity, you get to enjoy the lovely cool breezes coming off the lake as you meander down the lakeside boardwalk. A side benefit is that the ferry trip affords you great city views. (Round Trip cost around $5 adults and $3 for children and seniors.)
Note: The ferries operate year round but in winter the service is limited and most restaurants,snackbars and amusements are shut. The picture looks back to Toronto from the Centre Island wharf, over one of the licensed restaurants.

5 comments:

Shelly Kneupper Tucker said...

Did you say you have a guest room? What a wonderful place to live. I'd show you pictures of where I live in Texas, but it probably wouldn't "blow your dress up," as my Daddy used to say.

Robyn Mills said...

Hey Shelly
My Dad would say 'there's no knowing what would blow a gals dress up' or something to that effect. (I think he was talking about my mum being riled though. but the same goes.)

Jenny McB said...

Robin- Shaving my thighs...this was my biggest regret on Kallani's blog where she has a game going, answer a questions- ask a question.
http://islandlife808.com/

Like I told her, I am blonde and should have left it alone. One of those things we compare on Ladies' weekends, 1/2 shaved and 1/2 didn't, most who did, regret it.

I never knew about those islands near Toronto. It looks like a great place to check out. Maybe a very long road trip for us soon. Thanks for stopping by.

Wylie Kinson said...

Spent a few loverly afternoons at Centreville last year and plan MANY more this summer.

Nathalie said...

That sounds like a great place to be; at this moment my toes are almost freezing of, and it's raining outside. Yuck.
Thanks for dropping by my blog!