Thursday, March 8, 2007

TT#7 - Slang and modern idiom

Ever used the words 'vice versa' , or 'varsity' - did you know their roots stem from words meaning behind, buttocks, and were once considered vulgar slang..... In researching a novel for appropriate language of the time (1700's), I stumbled over some marvelous words that we often throw all, or portions of, into our language today without thinking of their origins.... here are thirteen unusual but commonly used words and those to which they are related.
  • frig -(expletive meaning Gosh, God!) - was also once as unprintable as the F-word used to be. In Victorian times frig came into usage to make the F-word more genteel and fit for use in mixed company.
  • arse(E), ass (US), arsey-varsey,arsie-versie,arsey-warsey, vice versa, topsy-turvy, versey, varsey, - mean behind, buttocks, now more commonly used to mean upside down FYI varsity stems from here.
  • razzle-dazzle, razzmatazz, hoop-la - showiness, jazzy, extravagant display of fuss, garishness, commotion. (c.1889)
  • thingamajig, figmagig, - a toy, trifle, anything that moves or works about
  • frigabob, frigmajig, fashizzle my nizzle (love that one)- to dance, jerk up and down, anything which dances, jerks up and down and sideways....
  • shagrag, shagmarelle, rabble, riffraff, tagrag, shag-me-rag - idle good for nothings, unkempt person, a mean person (I wonder if the verb (?) to shag - comes from jiggy-jiggy with a shagrag fligary?)
  • jig - (slang for copulation, became a common verb meaning to jerk up and down (go figure) led to jiggy-jiggy, jig-a-jig, fligmejig,frigmajig - all mean to copulate
  • fligmagary, fligary, frigary, flig-me-jig (c.1860) - a tawdrily dressed woman, a girl of doubtful character.
  • hoddy-mandoddy, haddy-daddy, hadmandad, odd-me-dod, horny-dorny - a snail, or to move at a snails pace. (As a romance writer it makes one wonder at the last one - a long lazy afternoon of horny-dorny mmmm?)
  • marly-scarly - a caterpillar
  • tittle-tattle, clish-clash, clish-ma-clash, - gossip, idle chatter, scandal
  • hoity-toity, la-di-da, lardy-dardy, hanky-spanky - a swell, posh person, putting on airs and graces, upper class, dashing.
So with that I leave you with this sentence - The shagrag, moved at a hoddy-mandoddy pace, entranced by the razzle-dazzle of the thingamagig as it frigabobbed in the hands of the fligmagary.

16 comments:

Ankur said...

wow, hilarious list. learn something new everyday, did not know any of this stuff.

Happy TT!

Valtool said...

Very interesting and a bit enlightening as I now have a whole new idea about Will Smith and "Getting Jiggy"

Unknown said...

great list..thanks for the educating..

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous list! I love this kind of thing. Fascinating to me. I'm so glad you found my TT which led me back to yours. I'll be back to visit your site. Very nicely done.

Unknown said...

Love it Robin! Your sentence at the end is a riot. I love knowing the origin of words. Thanks for posting. :)

Magpie said...

Great list!

The Gatekeeper said...

That is awesome and hilarious. Great research btw. Pretty interesting sentence at the end there. Have a great day.

Gene Bach said...

Great list! LOL!

Wylie Kinson said...

Excellent list -- I always learn something when I stop in!

Julia said...

WOW now these are slang words I never heard of before. I love to see the origin of the meaning to the words!

Happy TT I hope you have wonderful day!

Qtpies7 said...

Oh my gosh, that wore me out! LOL How fun, though!

The Gal Herself said...

Love your TT. Educational and, well, dirty at the same time. Doesn't get much better than that. My TT is up, if you're interested. It's my 13 favorite charities.

Anonymous said...

Ha, I've heard quite a few of these: frig, arse, razzle-dazzle, razzmatazz, thingamajig, tittle-tattle. Some others: thingamabob and watchamacallit (basically same thing as thinamajig). Fun list! :)

Happy TT, and thank you for visiting my blog.

David said...

The single greatest event of my childhood was when my parents aquired two massive volumes: a dictionary. Whenever I'd run over my weekly allottment of books from three library cards, I could always find shelter reading those volumes. It was years before I discovered there were kindred souls who were also entranced by the power of mere words...

Raggedy said...

I loved your list!
Marvelous!
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
Thank you for your visit.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Interesting! Fascinating list of slang. Thanks for explaining the meanings of these terms. :)

Thanks for visiting!