Monday, July 9, 2007

Off to Dallas

I've been busy getting ready for the RWA National Conference in Dallas and coping with my Mum who took a tumble and broke her arm. Good clean break and it is healing well but mentally the whole thing has shaken her. I don't want her to lose her confidence in walking again, nor do I want her to fall into clinical depression. She wont watch telly, read books, and resists exercising and wont go to the dining room for her meals, insisting they bring them to her on a tray -must be a lovely patient - not. At least we got a phone on in her room so she can ring people and we can ring her. So it is taking a great deal of telephone time and diplomacy balancing what is good for her, supporting the medical staff and my sister who is dealing with the brunt of her moods, as well as trying to cheer her out of her - woe-is-me, 'I wish you were closer' (she lives in New Zealand), and the clincher "I'm all right, don't you worry about me!". She's not alone, for as well as my sister, my son and his girlfriend live close by and pop in regularly - but she is my mother and is nearly 86. She is in care so every possible thing she could want is taken care of, but it is still a wrench even though I 'm aware that she is great at triggering 'guilt trips'. OMG, will I be like that one day? Scary thought.

I will be posting for the rest of this week from Dallas and will fill you in with snippets from my experience, workshops I've attended and the 'goss' on who I see and of course the latest - "RUMOURS". I'll try to post photos when I can. If you have a question fire away and I will try to find the answer.
Have a successful week and look in and say hi.

3 comments:

joshua said...

It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together by visiting and loving one another.

You must not feel obliged to come and visit me. An invitation is not an intimation. Also know that if you click on one of my ads I'm promised to earn 8 cents for that: I would feel happy if you did click it, but once again you're totaly free to do what ever you want. I, for instance, choose immediatly to click on one of your ads. To do so or not, that's the whole beauty of it all.

I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge (though you can use the translater BabelFish at the bottom of my page!) and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!

Unknown said...

I hope your mom is feeling better soon! A broken arm is a hard thing to deal with at any age.

And have a great time in Dallas!

Cassandra said...

After reading your post, I think we may be related. LOL Your sister and my sister sound eerily alike. As is the mum with the knack for guilt trips and falling down. And the age is even about right, so I feel quite confidant when I say, hi soul sister. LOL

Do have a wonderful time in Dallas, and please give us poor folks who couldn't make the pilgrimage, all the skinny on Nationals.

If you are going there to pitch, good luck and best wishes. I'll be pulling for you. :)