Thursday, July 12, 2007

Dallas RWA REPOR T # 3


Authors Literacy - 450 RWA Authors and over 5000 fans... a circus but fun. The queues started forming at 3 in the afternoon. J.R. Ward, Sherrilyn Kenyon and Suzanne Brockmann having huge lines of fans and of course Nora Roberts.
As one of the supervisors of the event I was fortunate to meet many of our celebrated members and deal with the frustrations of lost books etc... Sadly too many this year... Note to self---- if EVER I get published and attend bring 6 of my own copies.

Sherrilyn K... yes that is a black swan on her head (duck as she called it.)


Next morning and breakfast with a group from TRW only thought to take photo when most had gone, Kelly Armstrong among them. Here I am with first time published TRW Member from Owens Sound - Kaenar Langord. (Elloras Cave)


Two of TRW CelebrityAuthors ... Eve Silver and Michelle Rowan caught between workshops in the lobby.
Yesterday was full and busy on my part as I am a volunteer for the Author's Literacy overseen by Angi Platt with me In charge of Author Liason and Books. I'm the one that supervises checking of books from publishing houses and getting them to the authors for signing. So I get complained to, sobbed over and ranted at when their books don't arrive. The authors were great this year even with many missing books. My heart went out to the first time authors and those who had come from overseas to find they had nothing to sign. I collapsed into bed at midnight up at 6 for TRW breakfast... this conference is no holiday.
Before I attended the PRO Retreat I looked in Robin D.Owens - Kill your inner critic workshop - it was based on Artists Way - Morning pages- it was very good.
Went to PRO Retreat - Editor Ellen Edwards NAL gave a great presentation of the life of a book from query letter to book shelf. She was followed by multi-published Author Jane Porter who gave a witty and concise presentation - the best yet. Had to take a break as my credit card and wallet was stolen. Luckily I got the wallet and card back but no moolah - c'est le vie. Card already canceled so no harm done just the annoyance of it all.
Back tomorrow with more from today...
PS: Isn't it sad to note that Kathleen E. Woodwiss passed away on Saturday. My sister gave me Ashes in the Wind one Christmas and I was hooked from then on.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're having a fantastic time. Meeting everyone must be fantastic. :)

Robyn Mills said...

It is .

FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

THANK YOU.

Robin