Saturday, December 2, 2006

Inspiration, Order and Advice

Well, now that I know what I do, how do I do it?
There are hundreds of books out there offering advice on how you 'could' approach writing.
Now comes an oxymoron - don't follow advice. From the writers I speak to they approach their writing in a way that works for them. Some have to start at the beginning, others write the end first, others make copious research notes and write the background story, draw elaborate plans or cut out pictures and paste them on boards, use postit notes then sort them in order, be anal about grammar,characterization,plotting, and style. Some have to write early in the morning or late at night, can only write on a computer, or with a pencil and paper, at a desk, in bed, in a particular room or get their greatest writing surges in a coffee shop. Such is the beauty of writing is that you can make it fit you and your lifestyle. A notebook in your pocket or bag to jot down scenes, smells, or an overheard phrase. All helps to draw you (and hopefully your reader) into a scene.
The only one thing you must do - is write. Nora Roberts is reputed to have said... "I can't fix a blank page."
So what are you waiting for, inspiration? I'm told it won't come by staring at your computer or blank page. I've tried it and it didn't work for me... but then my head is so full of ideas that I have yet to come across the dreaded 'writer's block'. The point of this is, just write, even if you have to scrap it later... just write.

1 comment:

Amy Ruttan said...

I actually used to write with pen and paper; but now that I have a soft tissue injury from toxemia when I had my daughter the writing by hand has gone by the lay by. That and I am a Law Clerk (again as of Jan 2/07 ick), so I pretty much type all day long, come home and type some more.