Thursday, August 16, 2007

PPP TT deals with Poisons

One of the things I enjoy most as a writer is learning about 'stuff' that isn't in my everyday existence. I'm working on a book where poisons play a big part.... so I'm going to bore...oops share with you some of my findings.
  1. Poisons are rated in terms of toxicity for the oral lethal dose for 150lb human.- 6 most lethal (less than 5mg, seven drops) to 1 the almost non toxic (requires 15 mg,1 quart or 2.2pounds of the stuff).
  2. Most poisons have a bitter taste -those that don't- have no survivors to tell us.
  3. Arsenic (5) is as toxic as rubbing alcohol containing Isopropanol (5)
  4. Strychnine and Cyanide (6) are as fatal as a sting from an Australian box jellyfish - death in minutes
  5. Snake and spider bite toxicity are exacerbated if the bite site is vascular.
  6. Age, health, lifestyle of victim affects uptake, and symptoms and time to die
  7. Tear Gas while toxic/harmful is not considered a poison (it only causes 2nd degree burns - lungs, eyes, etc painful, but it won't kill you.)
  8. New Zealand, Antarctica, Southern Chile and Southern Argentina are the only places in the world you wont find scorpions.
  9. First written records of poisoning are from the Roman Empire around the time of Christ - Summerians, Indians, Chinese, Greeks and Egyptians had already perfected the art of poisoning.
  10. Cleopatra didn't like using henbane, belladonna - it caused too much pain in her slaves and prisoners when she tried it out. Strychnine left convulsed victims grossly distorted so she settled on the cobra/asp - a serene prompt death.
  11. 2C B.C. Greek king Mithradates VI ingested a minute does of every poison hoping to build up an immunity - he died. This increased small doses to build immunity is not uncommon in many cultures and has been used in fiction by Dorothy L Sayers (Strong Poison). and Alexander Dumas (The Count of Monte Cristo)
  12. Macabre I know, but history's notorious poisoners and study of poisons gave birth to modern pharmacology - without it we wouldn't have digitalis, ouabain, atropine, aspirin.
  13. 'Venin de crapaud' is made by feeding arsenic to, say, toads and when they die the juices are distilled from their bodies.

Have a great day but maybe you should watch what you eat, drink, step on, inhale, rub upagainst, touch..... maybe just go back to bed with a good book!

15 comments:

penguinsandladybugs said...

Scary!! Thanks for sharing, though!

Unknown said...

As always, fantastic information Robyn. I'm going to be using a murder as a plot point in my next book. This might be how I kill the poor victim. :)

Denise Patrick said...

An excellent TT. I knew some of it, but not all. I used foxglove (digitalis) in a story I wrote during the Victorian era. I will file some of this information away for later use.

My TT is about summer travels.

Robin said...

The increasing dosages thing was used to great amusement in The Princess Bride, too.

scooper said...

I like the poison info. thanks

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Love this, Robyn! Neat stuff in here.

So... if that guy had taken bunches of poisons spaced out over time instead of all at once, would the immunity thing have worked?

Michelle Hasker said...

Wow! What a great TT :)
Thanks for sharing all that!

Ann said...

Great list. Strong Poison is one of my favorite books. It's not poison, but I thought it interesting that in the Da Vinci Code the professor kills his chauffer using the poor guy's peanut allergy (not very clear about that in the movie). Happy TT.

Amy Ruttan said...

I knew about the Cleopatra thing, very cool list about poisons. You are a plethora of knowledge missy! Always enjoyable.

Spy Scribbler said...

How very generous of Cleopatra! And who said she wasn't kind?

Happy TT!

Rhian said...

no, no - not boring at ALL! fascinating. you know i just thought of something - the collective knowledge of all our bloggers is probably a truly frightening thing. Next time i have a research question i can't quickly find the answer to i'm gonna blog post it and see who all has that piece of info.

Anonymous said...

TMI--Now I'm just scared! :)

Jenny McB said...

Lovely thoughts as I sidestep spiders and plants in my house for the next few days! You writers do put a lot of work into researching!

Robyn Mills said...

Amy - I have a brain full of absolutely useless information - don't ask me to balance a cheque book.
SPyscribbler... I agree about Cleopatra, so thoughtful ofher to use her slaves and prisoners as guinea pigs first so that others could die...nicely!!!!!
Robin - I think it does work but I wouldn't try it to find out - I'm wondering if the immune system would be trigger though to react more violently... in other words it could swing the other way. It's not like you become addicted to it and need more and more. (at least I don;t think so - anybody know about this?)
Rhian - you would be amazed at what would come back to you... I have found people are so generous with their knowledge for the most part.

Wylie Kinson said...

What a cool TT. It's a print-and-keep for future writings. THANKS!

(Note to self - Don't let Robyn buy the coffee)