Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Getting the right Critique Partner

Not everyone has Margaret Atwood, or Nora Roberts, willing to go over their work so what do you do with the best novel in the world you have just written. Seriously, before you send it away, it needs to be looked at by eyes other than your own, ones that have no blinkers (will be honest) nor should they have rose colored glasses(Mom doesn't cut it- unless she is an editor).

So, how do I go about choosing who will give me the honesty that my work needs to get to the next step of the publishing ladder. The cost of critiquing is huge can be over $2000 for a full ms critique.

If you are like me you have to rely on fellow writers. This has a positive side benefit. For if you critique other writers work you also help develop your own critical eyes toward your own work. Here are some questions that I was given to ask before selecting a critique partner.

1. Is their work similar to your own in genre, ie. comparing apples to apples? Do you want them to write in the same genre?
2. Does the writer get published consistently/or do you feel they are a competent writer? Is having a published writer read you work important to you?
3. Are you using similar themes? Do you want them to use similar themes?
4. Do you develop characters and plot similarly? Is this important to you?
5. Can I sense a clear voice in their writing?
6. Do I like this writer's work?
7. Will I get a fair reading from this person?
8. Will this writer be willing to work with me as I slog through the next draft?
9. Does the writer balance my weaknesses? eg you suck at grammar they love it.

Remember all critiquing is subjective and are suggestions or ideas of how they view your work. It is still up to you, the writer, to accept or reject the proffered criticism/suggestions.

Hope these help you decided who you want to critique as opposed to read your work. Or, maybe you have other suggestions, please feel free to add them.

Day two of Diet #1 for 2007 - My birthday today so diet will stagnate for 24 hours. So much for will power. At least I can walk up the stairs today without groaning from pulling muscles.
Be sure to look in tomorrow for my thirteen things you didn't know about coffee.

1 comment:

Alyssa Goodnight said...

These are good suggestions. I'm auditioning someone as a critique partner right now...and she's auditioning me. So far so good!