Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rejected writer syndrome.

I'm sure RWS is a certifiable condition. Symptoms are a feeling of optimism, followed by deflation of spirit, a period of self-doubt, then 'put it down to experience. Many successful writer got rejected many times'; followed by reinforced determination and more blood, sweat and angst.
I have decided that my greatest writing success to date is that of the recipient of the 'good' rejection letter. Editors take time to write to me, make suggestions, or point out what they see as a weakness while encouraging me to continue submitting work to them. Then, today guess what.... Canada Post is sending me a cheque for the postage of a misplaced manuscript they cannot find and the publishing house has no record of receiving. Not the sort of payment for a manuscript one has in mind for writing 500 pages.
I take heart as I look out my window - the grass is turning green as I look at and my daffodils have popped open. If they can survive a winter buried under snow I too can push through this. One day the phone will ring and it won't be Canada Post saying we can't find your manuscript, and an envelope in the mail will have details of a contract.....
Well, back to my article about our trip to Sicily. The editor asked me to make some alterations and send it back to him. At least it is a step in the right direction..... R

5 comments:

Rhian said...

Hang in there! I've seen more new writers i know get contracts in the past several months - it's been pretty dang amazing. My blog friend Jill Christine talks regularly about dealing with rejects over and over - it's a difficult part of the process as you know. It comes down to this i think - no matter how many rejects you get, YOU can't reject your passion, your gifts and your dreams. Okay - that all sounds like platitudes and that's not how i mean it. sigh. shutting up now.
please DO join us on the poetry train on mondays. - Rhi

Wylie Kinson said...

Hey Robyn... I know what you mean about the 'good' rejection.
I've gotten so many form rejections for my children's stories that I could wallpaper my entire upstairs hall. I'll be so happy when I get a personal signature, note, ANYTHING on a reject letter. An actual contract, well... I don't even let myself imagine anymore :)

Amy Ruttan said...

Oooh, big hugs.

I'm still waiting on hearing.

I got my Golden Heart scoring and so bummed at how low they scored me. They scored the manuscript that got requested so low.

Ok, enough of my pity party. We need chocolate and we can't give up on our dream! :)

Robyn Mills said...

Thanks girls... Im blaming my head cold for my wallowing in self-pity today.
Oh Amy you poor thing... Remember, Judging is subjective. I haven't got mine yet. Last year I got 9's and 1's. Go figure.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker said...

I'm so proud of you for hanging in and moving on. Make a list of all the people who had to self-publish their own works and now are famous. That should cheer you up, and you know you need more to do :-).

I'd publish you, if I could.

Your post reminds me why I don't have the courage to try to get anything published! One little rejection, and I wouldn't be able to hold my head up, but I'm a wimp.